The Problem   The Solution   Emotional Eating Diagnostic   Pocket Hunger Coach   Success Stories   Blog   Start Today

Weight Loss and Control:
Roger Gould, MD's Weekly Blog
on Emotional Eating


 
Knowledge is power.
Understanding why you turn to food is the key to changing it. Join in the discussion each week as Dr. Gould shares his valuable insights from over 30-years of clinical experience.

Subscribe to Dr. Gould's Blog
The Underlying Cause of Emotional Eating

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2012 | POSTED BY DR. GOULD

When you engage in emotional eating you're usually reaching for food at a moment in which you feel temporarily "powerless." In most cases, this perceived lack of personal power stems purely from self-doubt. And it is this self-doubt that is the underling cause of emotional eating.

For example, we doubt whether we are good enough; whether we are a fake or not; whether we love enough; whether we are smart enough, or pretty enough, or strong enough, or perfect, or talented, or ambitious enough; or kind enough, or too jealous or too competitive, or not a good enough daughter or sister.

Read more


 
Recent Posts
The Key to Controlling Emotional Eating & Keeping Off Weight

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2012 | POSTED BY DR. GOULD

If the statistic that 95% of dieters gain their weight back is true, then what are the other 5% doing to be successful? According to the National Weight Control Registry, the people that kept the weight off didn't just change their eating patterns, they changed their life in some way.

In other words, by dealing with the underlying issues that fueled their emotional hunger, they were able to turn off their hunger switch, which resulted in less emotional eating.

Read more


 
There is a Mystery Behind Every Food Addiction

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2012 | POSTED BY DR. GOULD

Are you looking for a "Magical Cure" to your food obsession or a "Scientific Solution?"

We know that emotional eating is the major cause of overeating, weight gain, food disorders and eating addictions. When you eat for emotional reasons, you are doing so because you are in conflict with yourself. You have to recognize that you have two selves fighting it out with each other, over every difficult food decision.

Read more


 
The First Step Towards Ending Emotional Eating

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 2012 | POSTED BY DR. GOULD

Everyone is an emotional eater to some degree; it is built into our upbringing. However, it's the habitual or compulsive part of the emotional eating pattern that is unhealthy, not the occasional indulgence.

Ending out-of-control emotional eating requires moving through stages of understanding and personal growth.

Read more